Below is this week’s congressional update by BakerHostetler’s Federal Policy team. We’ll continue to post in weeks when both chambers of Congress are in session.
- Abortion politics are roiling Washington after last week’s leak of a preliminary Supreme Court opinion that would overturn Roe vs. Wade; the Senate will vote on legislation to codify Roe.
- First Lady Jill Biden is finishing a trip to Eastern Europe, which included a surprise visit to Ukraine’s First Lady Olena Zelenska in western Ukraine, as the White House pushes for additional humanitarian and military aid.
- Budget hearings continue in Congress, including several with members of the president’s cabinet.
- The House will be in session Tuesday through Friday, voting on legislation aiming to improve workplace protections for federal firefighters and Transportation Security Administration personnel.
- The House Appropriations Committee will resume budget hearings with the president’s cabinet, including Defense Secretary Lloyd Austin on the Pentagon budget and Commerce Secretary Gina Raimondo on the Commerce Department budget.
- The House Financial Services Committee will hold a hearing Thursday on the annual report of the Financial Stability Oversight Council.
- The full hearing schedule can be found here.
- Senate Democrats plan to vote on legislation codifying Roe that previously failed to pass, aiming to increase political pressure around an expected Supreme Court decision.
- Senate budget hearings include Agriculture Secretary Tom Vilsack and Housing and Urban Development Secretary Marcia Fudge.
- The Foreign Relations Committee will hold a hearing Tuesday on several nominations, including Bridget Brink to be ambassador to Ukraine.
- The current list of committee meetings can be found here.
- President Joe Biden is hosting a bilateral meeting tomorrow with Italian Prime Minister Mario Draghi.
- Wednesday, Biden will travel to Illinois, visiting a farm in Kankakee, keynoting the International Brotherhood of Electrical Workers International Convention in Chicago, and participating in a Democratic National Committee fundraiser.
- Thursday and Friday, Biden will participate in a Special Summit with the Association of Southeast Asian Nations.