Below is the Federal Policy team’s weekly preview, posted when Congress is in session.
• President Donald Trump will host a ceremony marking the signing of a trade agreement with China.
• Speaker Nancy Pelosi is likely to send House-passed articles of impeachment of Trump to the Senate, after unsuccessfully seeking procedural concessions from Senate Majority Leader Mitch McConnell.
• Democrats will hold their final debate tomorrow before the Iowa caucuses on Feb. 3.
- The House is in session today through Thursday and will likely approve a resolution to appoint managers and transmit articles of impeachment to the Senate.
- The House Foreign Affairs Committee will hold a hearing on the Trump administration’s Iran policy, amid ongoing unrest in Tehran protesting that government’s leaders.
- The Armed Services Committee will hold a hearing on the Defense Department’s role in competing with China.
- The full list of this week’s House committee activity can be found here.
- The Senate will vote on the nomination of Peter Gaynor to be administrator of the Federal Emergency Management Agency.
- Multiple Senate committees will review the implementing legislation for the United States-Mexico-Canada Trade Agreement.
- The current list of Senate committee activity can be found here.
- Tonight, Trump will attend the college football national championship game in New Orleans between Coach Ed Orgeron’s Louisiana State University Tigers and Dabo Swinney’s Clemson Tigers. Go Tigers!
- Tomorrow, Trump will host a campaign rally in Milwaukee as Democratic contenders to challenge him participate in their final debate before primary elections begin.
- Wednesday, Trump will participate in a signing ceremony for a trade agreement between the United States and China.