Below is the Federal Policy team’s weekly preview, published each week when Congress is in session.
• Washington is consumed with reaction to Special Counsel Robert Mueller’s report to the Justice Department, as President Donald Trump claims exoneration and Democrats demand release of Mueller’s full report.
• The House will vote whether to override Trump’s veto of a resolution negating his declaration of an emergency at the U.S.-Mexico border.
• Trump will host meetings at the White House with Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu, and will honor the 2018 Stanley Cup Champion Washington Capitals.
- The House is in session today through Thursday. The agenda includes the veto-override vote, and bills on Democrats’ priorities including fair pay and transgender troops.
- Several members of Trump’s cabinet will appear before House committees to testify on Trump’s budget proposal, including Secretary of State Mike Pompeo before both the Foreign Affairs Committee and an Appropriations subcommittee.
- Netanyahu will meet with bipartisan congressional leadership during his visit to Washington for the pro-Israel AIPAC conference.
- The full list of this week’s House committee activity can be found here.
- The Senate will continue processing Trump’s nominees, beginning with today’s proceedings.
- Senators will also vote on a version of Democrats’ “Green New Deal” as Majority Leader Mitch McConnell aims to force Senate Democrats on record regarding the proposal while showing that it lacks majority support.
- The Senate Banking Committee will hold a two-day hearing on Chairman Mike Crapo’s proposal to reform the federal housing finance system.
- The current list of Senate committee activity can be found here.