Below is the Federal Policy team’s weekly preview, published each week when Congress is in session.
• After the partisan fight over Supreme Court Justice Brett Kavanaugh, the Senate this week will take up a water infrastructure bill and then consider nominees to Executive Branch agencies.
• President Donald Trump on Tuesday has lunch with Secretary of State Mike Pompeo, who over the weekend met with North Korea’s Kim Jong Un and also visited Tokyo, Seoul and Beijing.
• The rest of Trump’s week is dominated by campaign stops for Republican congressional candidates.
- The House is in recess until after the November midterm elections.
- The Senate is slated to be in session Tuesday through Friday. The floor agenda includes the Water Resources Development Act, which was already approved by the House.
- The Senate will resume consideration of Trump nominees, including to the Justice Department and Defense Department.
- The Senate Banking Committee will hold a hearing on cryptocurrency and blockchain.
- The current listing of Senate committee activity can be found here.
- Trump on Tuesday will have lunch with Secretary Pompeo and then travel to Iowa for a political rally in Council Bluffs in support of GOP congressional candidates.
- Wednesday he will hold a rally in support of Senate candidate Rep. Lou Barletta, R-Penn., and Rep. Mike Kelly, R-Penn., two of his most fervent supporters in Congress.
- Friday he will stump for congressional candidates in Ohio, and Saturday he will campaign for Republicans in Kentucky.