Below is the federal policy team’s weekly preview, published each Monday that Congress is in session.
• President Donald Trump today returns from Europe after high-profile meetings with NATO leaders, British government officials and royalty, and Russian president Vladimir Putin.
• Trump will be in Washington this week and plans to sign an executive order focused on workforce development.
• The House and Senate continue to work through spending bills and nominations.
- The House plans to vote today through Thursday. The legislative agenda is highlighted by a “minibus” package of fiscal 2019 spending bills, including funding for the Interior Department and the Environmental Protection Agency as well as financial services appropriations.
- The House and Senate are in conference to work through differences and finalize the National Defense Authorization Act as well as to work separately on a minibus package including funding for veterans and military construction.
- On Wednesday, the Agriculture Committee will hold a hearing on cryptocurrencies.
- A full listing of House committee activity can be found here.
- The Senate plans to be in session throughout the week and will continue working through Trump judicial and agency nominees.
- The Senate plans to vote soon, potentially this week, to go to conference with the House on the farm bill.
- Federal Reserve Chair Jerome Powell will appear Tuesday before the Senate Banking Committee to present the Fed’s semiannual monetary policy report.
- The current listing of Senate committee activity can be found here.
- Trump is finishing meetings with Vladimir Putin in Helsinki and is scheduled return to Washington tonight.
- Later in the week, Trump will host a meeting with his full cabinet, and he has lunches scheduled with Vice President Mike Pence and Secretary of State Mike Pompeo.
- Thursday, Trump will host a “Pledge to the American Worker” event and sign an executive order on workforce development.