Below is the Federal Policy team’s weekly preview, published each Monday when Congress is in session.
• President Donald Trump will visit Florida and Pennsylvania to hold rallies in support of Republican Senate candidates.
• The Senate will continue consideration of Trump administration nominations and also has a wide-ranging legislative agenda this week.
• The House has begun its five-week August recess.
- The House is in recess until Sept. 4.
- The Senate plans to be in session throughout the week, beginning with a judicial nomination vote this evening.
- Senators plan to vote on the final version of the annual National Defense Authorization Act and an extension of federal flood insurance, likely sending both to Trump for signature.
- The Senate will also vote to advance a four-bill appropriations package, and may take up a Federal Aviation Administration reauthorization.
- The current listing of Senate committee activity can be found here.
- Trump hosts Italy’s Prime Minister Giuseppe Conte today at the White House for bilateral meetings; later, he will participate in the swearing-in ceremony of Veterans Affairs Secretary Robert Wilkie.
- Trump will host a roundtable discussion on workforce development Tuesday in Tampa, Florida, followed by a rally for Gov. Rick Scott, who is running against Sen. Bill Nelson, D-Fla.
- Trump will host a roundtable discussion Thursday in Wilkes-Barre, Pennsylvania, for Rep. Lou Barletta, R-Pa., who is seeking to unseat Sen. Bob Casey Jr., D-Pa.